08 Jan The 7 Best In-home Exercises For Strength
If you lead a busy life, it can sometimes be difficult to find the time to go to the gym.
You might also find the gym a bit intimidating if you are new to exercise.
Fortunately, there are dozens of different exercises that can be performed in the comfort and privacy of your own home.
Here are 7 of the best in-home exercises for building strength.
#1 – Pushups
The humble pushup remains one of the best exercises for building strength.
To perform a pushup:
1) Start in a plank position, with you hands shoulder width apart, and keep your body straight and position your feet in a way that makes you feel comfortable.
2) Lower your body until your face is about one inch from the ground.
3) Drive up with your arms to go back to the starting position.
Pushups benefit many muscles including the pectoral muscles (chest muscles), deltoid muscles (shoulder muscles), bicep muscles, tricep muscles, and muscles of the upper back (latissimus dorsi, rhomboids and trapezius).
Performing pushups will strengthen your upper body, improve your cardiovascular fitness, and broaden your shoulders.
#2 – Dumbell squat
Dumbbell squats are simple to perform and very effective.
1) Start in a standing position with your feet shoulder width apart and a dumbbell in each hand.
2) Keeping your head up and back as straight as possible while bending your legs.
3) When the weights are an inch from the ground, stand back up.
When performing this exercise, keep your chest out and keep your knees over your toes.
Avoid arching your back.
Squats are an excellent exercise for strengthening the quadriceps, hamstrings, and calves.
By adding dumbbells, this exercise will maximise the benefit of your squats.
#3 – Bench dips
This is a simple and effective exercise that can be performed with a bench, chair or coffee table.
1) Stand facing away from the bench you are using.
2) Lower yourself until you can place both hands on the bench with straight arms.
3) Placing your weight on your arms and legs, lower yourself until your upper arm and forearm form a 90 degree angle, and then lift yourself back up.
Bench dips will work your triceps, deltoids, pecs, rhomboids and lats.
It is a fantastic exercise to do in conjunction with pushups because it uses a different range of motion.
#4 – Crunches
Crunches are the best way to build a strong core and impressive six pack abs.
1) Start by laying on your back with your knees bent at a 90 degree angle and your hands on both sides of your head.
2) Lift your shoulders and head a few inches off the floor, compressing your abdominals.
3) Lower your shoulders and head, then repeat.
Crunches will work the rectus abdominis muscle in the midsection of your body.
By improving your core strength, you will find other exercises easier to perform and enjoy better stability.
#5 – Walking lunges
The walking lunge is an excellent exercise for anyone who wants muscular legs and greater flexibility.
1) From a standing start, take a large step forward and lower your torso (performing a lunge), keep your back straight and make sure your front leg does not go over a 90 degree angle.
2) Step your feet together again.
3) Perform the lunge on the other side.
You can hold light weights to improve the effectiveness of this exercise.
A walking lunge will help the hip extensors, gluteal muscles (glutes) and hamstrings.
It will also strengthen the knee extensors, which are the four muscles collectively known as the quadriceps.
#6 – Cross body mountain climber
This is a useful exercise that works multiple muscle groups simultaneously.
1) Get into a pushup position.
2) Bring your right knee forward and toward your left elbow.
3) Make your right leg straight again, then bring your left knee forward and towards your right elbow.
4) Repeat at a fast pace.
This exercise engages your deltoids, triceps, abdominals, quadriceps, and back muscles.
#7 – Lateral Raise
This is another dumbbell exercise that can dramatically improve your shoulder strength.
1) Stand up and hold a dumbbell in each hand.
2) Lift the dumbbells until they reach shoulder height (no higher).
3) Lower them the dumbbells back to your side slowly.
Start this exercise with light weights, as it is quite demanding on the shoulders.
This exercise is one of the best choices for obtaining visibly larger shoulders.
You will work the medial deltoid, improving your shoulder mass substantially.
Thanks for reading The 7 Best In-home Exercises For Strength.
For more workout tips, subscribe to the blog!